Sunday, July 8, 2012

Vacation Time- Kirtland Ohio

In June we went on a big family vacation. We hit Ohio, Kentucky and Georgia, and Tennessee if you count the airport and the Wendy's near the airport. Our first stop was Ohio to visit our friends the Brodericks. We became friends in our BYU married student ward. It was so fun to get to see them again, we have really missed them. They live about an hour away from Kirtland, so we spent part of a day out there. It was so neat.


The Newell K. Whitney store where Joseph and Emma lived for about 18 months, also housed the School of the Prophets and was the site where many of the revelations in the Doctrine and Covenants were received.

In the room used as the School of the Prophets.

In Emma's kitchen in the back of the N.K. Whitney store. Also, just so you know, I don't love having a bunch of pictures of myself it's just that Nicolette was helping take care of Emma outside so we could do the tour and Sterling was the one taking the pictures, so I'm the one in them.

Emma and me in the place where the cut the wood for the temple.

Sterling in front of replicas of the pulpits inside the Kirtland temple. I don't have a picture of the ashery, but that was probably our favorite spot. It's hard to explain what it is, but we really felt the spirit of the saints and how much they sacrificed to build a temple and then to have to just walk away for it all to follow their God. So amazing.

Nicolette, Claire and Emma. We had to leash Emma to keep her out of trouble. Don't worry she still managed to get into plenty of trouble, but at least she looked cute doing it thanks to Nicolette's pigtails.

After we left the church owned property, we went to visit the Kirtland temple that belongs to the Community of Christ church. It was neat to see the temple and to think of all of the amazing things that happened there, but it definitely had a different feeling from the tour we had just been on. You could feel that something was missing. Also, our tour guide spoke almost no English so that was frustrating.



I'm so glad that we got to go to Kirtland. We would have liked to visit the John Johnson and Morely farms, but it was hot and Emma had had enough, so we stopped by McDonald's for some ice cream and headed home. It was so much fun. I'll continue about our trip later, but I need to go finish getting ready for church before Emma wakes up.

2 comments:

The Broderick Family Blog said...

What a fun, hot day it was! Too bad we didn't make it to the JJ farm. I guess you will have to come and visit again. ;)
We LOVED having you here!

Heidi Perez said...

WHAT!? You went to OH w/o me!? Next time, I'm coming with you. And we're going to Cedar Point.